Pontyberem RFC | 1st Team 21 - 26 Tumble RFC | 1st Team
Steven Anthony Hewitt
3 Conversion
Rhys Lewis
1 Try
Nathan Willard
1 Try
Iwan Rhys Lewis Price
1 Try
Iwan Rhys Morgan
1 Try

Match Report
31 December 2017 / Team News

Magpies mount second half comeback to take Derby Day Honours

The Magpies made the short journey down the Gwendraeth Valley to take on arch-rivals Pontyberem RFC in this festive derby clash. With a win against Loughor and a unlucky defeat against table topping Hendy in their last two games Tumble arrived in Bont hoping to earn another win in their quest to move up the Division 2 West table. The game started in enterprising fashion with both teams up for the challenge until a stray Tumble pass in midfield saw Bont intercept and skipper Adrian Williams race over for a converted try after less than five minutes played. The Magpies now found themselves on the backfoot soaking up Pontyberem pressure and things got harder when the referee issued a yellow card to number 8 Steffan Davies after adjudging him of having taken out an opponent in the air whilst challenging for a high ball. Despite having their share of possesion Tumble could not get into Pontyberem territory and found themselves further behind when Williams scored his second try for Pontyberem, the conversion was missed making the score 12-0 to the home side. After half an hour, the impressive Pontyberem outside half Mike Sauro converted a long range penalty to make the score 15-0. The Magpies were now staring down the barrel knowing that another Pontyberem try would make the score deficit very difficult to come back from. Tumble suddenly upper the tempo and on a rare visit into the Pontyberem 22 scored a well taken try when scrum half Iwan Morgan burst over. Captain and outside half Steven Hewitt nailed the conversion to make the score 15-7 which it remained until the interval.

The half time team talk from coaches Chris Davies and Nic Cudd had a galvanizing effect on the Tumble team as they started the second half with much more purpose than the first. Despite conceding an early penalty to  Pontyberem's Sauro the Magpies pulled another try back within eight minutes of the restart to make the score 18-14. After several phases of play near the Bont try line inside centre Iwan Price dived over untouched under the posts with the conversion being duly added by Hewitt. Sauro kicked another Pontyberem penalty after 56 minutes to make it 21-14 to the home side before the Magpies started to take hold of the game. The last 20 minutes saw the Magpies get on top with hard working replacement hooker Rhys Lewis forcing his way over the try line after 61 minutes to make the score 21-19. Hewitt narrowly missed the conversion and the chance to level the scores at 21 all. Both sides were working hard looking for the next score and with two minutes left on the clock Tumble second row Nathan Willard powered his way over from close range with a typical barnstorming run, Captain Hewitt stepped up and slotted the conversion from near the try line to make the score 21-26 and give the Magpies the lead for the first time in the match. There was time for one more play which resulted in a Tumble lineout. The ball was caught cleanly and passed back to replacement scrum half Rhodri Jones who booted the ball off the field of play to bring about the final whistle and send the large traveling Tumble support home happy.

With Amman United losing to Llanybydder the Magpies now move five points clear of the Amman and within a point of St Clears who lost against Whitland. The Magpies travel to Pontarddulais next Saturday in what will surely be another difficult game, kick off is at 2.30pm, come and support the boys.


Tries - Iwan Morgan, Iwan Price, Rhys Lewis, Nathan Willard

Conversions - Steven Hewitt x3

Ymlaen Y Piod


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos